Saturday, October 31, 2009

A sewing FO




I used to do a lot of sewing years ago, but I don't do it that often anymore. Once in a while a random neuron fires and triggers the urge to sew something. Recently, I came into possession of an interesting piece of embroidered fabric. It came from someone's estate and has an aged vintage-y look to it, but I don't think it's really that old because the fabric feels like polyester. It looked perfect for one of these trendy loose-fitting blouses, so I put the sewing machine into action. This is McCall's M5885, sans the front ruffles. This pattern is a very loose-fitting top. I cut to size 10 for the top section, but narrowed the bottom to the size 6 width. I also shaped it a little more on the sides and added a couple of long darts in the back. I could have probably cut the top parts to the size 6 and it would have been fine. I'm quite pleased with the result.

The pattern is really simple -- it's the embroidery on the fabric that makes this top interesting.

3 comments:

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

What a lovely top! I so wish I could sew.

In high school I had a home economics class and had to sew a top - white like yours - and it was a miserable experience. All bunched up material, seem rippers, bagging fabric, etc. I still remember how it looked when I was "all done" - LOL

crochetgurl said...

I can't believe I didn't notice your post last week. Your top looks lovely and so professionally done!

Robin said...

Very nice! It suits you perfectly.