Saturday, November 14, 2009

Yarn bombing

Lately, I've become mildly fascinated with the yarn bombing concept. I've even purchased this book, Yarn Bombing: The Art of Knit and Crochet Graffiti, which has photos of some great fiber art. The authors' website is www.yarnbombing.com I decided it was time for me to try a little yarn bombing myself, what with the holidays coming up and everything. So, I decided that this statue in our little town center clearly needed some holiday cheer.

I did this at night, and The Other Half helped with the photography and driving the getaway car. The next morning, I went back to take a daylight photo, and I was ever so pleased that no one had removed it. Doesn't he look nice with his cowl? (or is it called an infinity scarf?)

The Other Half has decided that my pseudonym should be "Yarnabomber". I'm not sure I like that name.

4 comments:

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

That is so awesome Betty! Your cowl looks FANTASTIC on that statue. When I was in SB this week a LYS owner was showing me that book. She suggested it was a good way to put stash yarn to good use....

Do let us know how long it stays there....

Not sure I like that nickname either - LOL

Ellen Bloom said...

Hahahahaha! I'm all for improving public property!! Great color combo for a lovely holiday cowl! Who does the statue depict?

betty said...

The sculpture is described here: http://tinyurl.com/yzf779j

crochetgurl said...

Hehe. I've never heard of yarn bombing before, but he looks pretty happy with his festive cowl. Glad to hear nobody took it off the next day. :-)

P.S. Do you live near Stanford/Palo Alto? I'm going up there next month, and I was wondering if you can recommend any good yarn stores near that area?