Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Sewing FOs: more dresses

I've been busying sewing spring and summer dresses. This first one is V8724 and it's the second time I've used the pattern. I liked the first one enough to make another one. This one is also in a cotton interlock knit. I really like these knits because they feel as comfy as wearing sleepwear. These dresses wear like long t-shirts with some shaping. For this second dress, I used bias tape on the neckline and arm openings instead of cutting out facings. I also lengthened the front top section by about 1/2 inch. I'm very happy that I now own something like the bright orange and pink things I see in the stores.

The second dress is McCall's M6554, a pattern from the Fashion Star series. I don't love the show, but I like it enough to watch it. The fabric is an embroidered linen blend that I got last year an JoAnn's. I didn't want to use a tie, so I added some white piping. I sewed the pleat center for the first few inches because I didn't want so much flaring right at my stomach. I also widened the straps by about 1/2 inch towards the arms. The pattern fits well, but it is cut almost too high on the armholes -- it feels like the armholes are too confining.

On the matter of clothing, I'm challenging myself to see if I can refrain from buying any new clothes for six months or so, starting from April. I can knit and sew new clothing, and I can buy used items from consignment, thrift, and used clothing shops -- I just can't buy new stuff. I don't include shoes and accessories in this challenge -- I can only go so far!

Thursday, May 3, 2012

FO: Fingerless mittens

The weather is a bit too warm for wool fingerless mittens, but I guess I'll be ready when winter comes. These are very basic fingerless mittens knit with Malabrigo worsted. I did not use a pattern for this. I have figured out the stitch counts that I need for this basic style where you have a ribbed cuff and some sort of simple stitch pattern on the back of the hand. In this case, the pattern is just simple ribbing. I did the ribbing as K tbl and P tbl to make the stitches pop more.