Sunday, December 30, 2007

Microphones need covers

I knitted a cover for a microphone for TAD ("The Audio Dude"). It prevents dust from settling on it and clogging it up.

Sunday, December 23, 2007

Fold-back placket cardigan

I'm trying to finish up this fold-back cardigan by Irina Poludnenko, from the Tahki yarns spring/summer 2007 patterns. The yarn is Gerifil Spaghetti, with size 5 needles. This yarn is kind of funky. It's very springy and the rib pattern stays tightly ribbed. Also, the 25% polyamid (essentially plastic) content gives it little shiny bits, but the inconsistent bend ratio makes the stitches uneven. I'ved decided to accept the uneven stitches -- it's sort of like wearing linen where you just go with the wrinkles.

Bluebell is done!

I'm very happy with the fit of this sweater. I'm hoping that it will not stretch too much with wear since the yarn is 75% cotton. I might try this pattern again as a basic template and remove the ribs and add some side decrease/increase and just try some other stitch pattern here and there.

Some additional notes: The sleeve and bottom purl borders are four rows, and knitted with the size 5 needles. The sleeves have 8 knit rows, with decreases on rows 3 and 7.

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Bluebell almost done!

I'm currently knitting Boatneck Bluebell, from Fitted Knits by Stephanie Japel. I'm using Cascade Sierra and size 6 needle. I'm knitting mainly for the 36.5" size but my gauge is about 18.4 stitches for 4". I did one less round of increases for the bust, but I actually added a couple more even rows before separating for the sleeves because I wanted a comfortable armhole size. I did only 5 increase rows for the hips. My fit guide is a well-fitting purchased raglan sleeved sweater of similar drape, texture, and style. I was concerned about the neckline being too wide, so I used a size 5 needle for the first rows. I did them all as purl rows to get a rolled neckline. The ending purl rows are also in size 5.

And finally, this is going to be a short-sleeved model, so I'm almost done!