Thursday, August 28, 2008

Trying to use the right side of my brain


It was time for me to try and be creative and knit a sweater without using a pattern. I decided to go with a basic top-down raglan sweater, since I've done a couple of those and I know how to start them and how to do the raglan increases. I decided to put some small cables along the raglan line. I needed something on the body besides all stockinette, so I put a couple of concentric diamonds on the front. This pullover does have a slight scoop in the front, so I did not join cast-on stitches immediately. I find that the sweaters that start with a joined loop are usually too close to the throat on the neckline, which bugs me. It's going well, and it fits well so far. I just have about 11 more inches of a stockinette tube to knit. I haven't quite decided on the sleeve length but most likely it will be short. For the neckline, I'm thinking of doing this garter stitch collar with increases that folds back over the front, sort of like a mini-cowl, if there is such a thing.
The yarn is Debbie Bliss Cashmerino DK. I see why knitters love this yarn -- it's really soft and looks great knitted.

No comments: