Thursday, August 1, 2013

Sewing FO: New Look 6144

This is New Look 6144, sewn with a linen/cotton print from Jo-Ann. The pattern does not call for a lining, and this fabric is medium weight so it doesn't need a lining for a summer dress. I wanted some sort of contrast at the shoulder but I couldn't find any contrasting solid or print that I liked, so I purchased some very lightweight mesh lace fabric and used that as an overlay over the print. I'm very happy with the resulting look.

This pattern is really easy to sew and make fit. The shape and size can be easily adjusted with the side seams and the center darts. The pleats at the neckline give the dress a little bit of ease above the bust line, which makes it really comfortable in warm weather. I love this dress and it's gotten quite a bit of wear since finishing it a few weeks ago.

3 comments:

Kitten With a Whiplash said...

How clever to use the lace, it looks marvelous.

Anonymous said...

Your shoulder detail mods look great on you. Chloe

Pinwheel said...

I like your sleeve contrast solution. Quilters sometimes get the same effect by using the the right side and wrong side of the same fabric.