Sunday, August 2, 2009
Nadine on the needles
I'm currently working on Nadine from French Girl Knits (ravelry link) The yarn is Tahki Yarns Sierra. My gauge is a bit finer at 15 stitches/4" instead of 14 stitches. I'm also knitting it about 5" shorter than the pattern's length. I knitted 4.5 repeats of the side lace panels. I did one less pair of short rows on the bottom lace flutes and also made them 2 stitches shorter because my top is shorter and I did not need as much fluting on the bottom.
The biggest technical difference is that I used 3-needle bind-off to join the front panel with the side lace sections instead of grafting with the Kitchener stitch. The 3-needle bind-off is much easier to do. There's already a discontinuity between the center horizontally knit piece and the vertical side pieces, so I figure a little more discontinuity wouldn't hurt -- I could just consider it a design element. The main reason I did it is because I wanted some stability to prevent the sweater from stretching with wear. This yarn is like very soft string, and with the loose gauge, I could just see it reaching my knees with a little wear unless there is some kind of seaming.
I'm working on the back panel now, so it shouldn't take much longer. I'm hoping to get enough wear out of it before summer weather ends.