Wednesday, August 19, 2009

FO: Felting experiment #2

After using the big felted bag for a while, I decided I really liked it. I wanted to try another felting project, but making something smaller. Between knitseashore talking about felted bags and Mr. Puffy talking about beading, I got inspired to try making a beaded felted small bag. This is what I would call a "casual dressy bag", whatever that means.


I really love the end result. I used some Cascade 220 sitting around in my stash, knitting with 2 strands, using an improvised pattern. I had to fuss with the bead placement and the decrease rate on the flap to get it just so. The beads were purchased from Global Beads, Inc., a local bead shop. They were only a dime a piece. The bag came out nicely dense and shrank a goodly amount in the wash cycles. I was a bit surprised that it did not fuzz up as much as I thought it would. It's mainly air dried. I did not want to risk using the dryer and having the beads bang against the walls. I stuffed a wash cloth into it while drying to shape it a bit.
It's large enough to hold a small wallet, phone, and a few other essentials. After all, what more does a girl need when attending some fancy soiree.

4 comments:

crochetgurl said...

Awww, it's so pretty and classy looking!

Ellen Bloom said...

Very lovely, little handbag, Betty! I really like the placement of the beads!

SusanSF said...

Ooooh, I love this bag. It's just beautiful!

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

I *love* it!!!! I'm also knitting a felted purse - more of an over sized bag - using alpaca. I will have some left over and I'm going to check out this pattern to see if I'll have enough to make this too.

It's very classy - nice pattern find!