Thursday, March 26, 2009

New reading material


I recently purchased three (count 'em, three) new knitting books. My favorite one of the bunch is French Girl Knits, by Kristeen Griffin-Grimes. Most of the styles have that chic bohemian, vintage-y, Anthropologie-esque look. I may be old as dirt, but I'm still an Anthropologie fangirl. My favorite patterns are Sophia, shown on the cover, and Paloma (ravelry link).

I am lukewarm about Glam Knits, by Stefanie Japel. I think I like it better than her Fitted Knits book, mainly because the patterns seem more diverse. My favorite one is the Circle Shrug -- I think that's the pattern that convinced me to buy the book. I'm also thinking of knitting a shorter sweater version of the Lace Minidress, but it requires p4tog stitches, which can't be fun.

The Simple Style book, by Ann Budd, is a disappointment to me. I really like the Sixteen-Button Cardigan (ravelry link), but that's about it. A lot of other styles look sort of boring to me. Some of the sweaters have that dropped shoulder, wide armhole look that just gives me a baggy saggy look.
,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the mini-reviews - of the three, I really like French Girl Knits. That one has a number of designs in it that I want to knit. Glam Knits, I wasn't that excited about either. There are a few cute patterns, though. I hadn't seen Simple Style yet, but based on your comments, I think I'll pass on it.

Virtuous said...

I just got some new reads too and isn't it fun to add to your knit library! :o)

Thx for your real thoughts on each book. Nice to now about Glam Knits!