Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Sewing: Simplicity 1072 Knit Skirts

I recently sewed two, count 'em, two, skirts, one after the other. I used Simplicity 1072, and it's a super simple skirt pattern. You have to cut just 3 fabric pieces out of 2 pattern pieces. It's cut for stretch fabrics, so no darts are needed and the waistband encases some wide elastic.

I love how these came out. They are the perfect casual and comfortable skirts that I can wear through most seasons. I won't bother with the leggings in warmer weather. The pattern calls for stretch knits, but any moderately stretchy bottom-weight fabric will work. The first one is sewn in a stretch quilt fabric. I found it in the juvenile fabrics section at JoAnn -- it was there probably because of the hearts in the quilt design. I managed to cut the skirt with the hearts upside down, but I don't think anyone will notice. I sewed the second one in a mauve colored stretch corduroy that has a very narrow wale.

Footnote (no pun intended) -- if you're wondering about the leggings, yes, they do have a subtle camouflage pattern. Camouflage seems to be everywhere these days.

No comments: