Monday, May 20, 2013

Sewing FO: Vogue v1352

This is Vogue Patterns V1352, and it's a great summer dress. I wanted to make this as soon as I saw the pattern, even though I think it sort of looks like a nightgown as it is shown on the pattern envelope. The pattern recommends a knit fabric, but I wasn't going there because I figured that it would just look too droopy with a knit. Also, I didn't want the long length, which probably contributes to the nightgown look. Instead, I used a linen-cotton fabric to give it a crisper look, and I shortened the pattern to knee length. The fabric is fairly lightweight, so I lined just the skirt with some cotton lawn cloth. I made the smallest size and I gathered the neckline a bit more to bring it in. The only surprise about the fit was that the waistline came up higher than I expected. From the pattern photo, it looked like it might be loo low. Perhaps using a knit would have made it fall lower.

I love this dress because it's really easy to wear and ultra comfortable in warm weather. It sews up really fast because it only has five pattern pieces. The most annoying part of the sewing was gathering up the neckline to fit within the neckline band.

No comments: