Friday, April 8, 2011


At last, I feel like I've made progress on my current works in progress. This one is Nespelem, and I've finished the body and the front band and collar. That front ribbed collar took quite a time to knit, and it actually makes up a good portion of the upper fronts of the sweater. It's also the main feature of this cardigan, and I had to take my time getting the length right and sewing it on just so. Now that I've sewn everything together and woven in most of the ends, I'm on the dash to the finish line, which is just doing the sleeves. Sleeves go pretty fast for me -- I think of them as long swatches.

There's some contrast yarn running through the arm holes. Arm holes and fronts of sweaters (especially the slanted upper fronts) tend to stretch out. I used some contrast yarn to just run some hand stitches through the sweater edge and then pull on the yarn to gather everything in a bit. This was especially useful for the fronts because the slight gathering kept it held together at the correct length and made it easier to attach the ribbing.


Ellen Bloom said...

Excellent idea about the gathering! Thanks for the tip. This sweater is going to be gorgeous. Can't wait to see the finished piece!

knitseashore said...

So perfect for spring!

soknitpicky said...

That is looking so good! It's gotten soooo hot here already that I stopped working on mine and am focusing on some other things, but I hope to pick it back up again before the fall. I like your tip with the contrast yarn!