Tuesday, July 21, 2009
For some reason, camera batteries always seem to run down at inconvenient moments and at a faster rate than expected. Maybe I have some strange X-Men-type skillz that allows me to drain camera batteries. But then again, I digress.
This is Veronique, from French Girl Knits (ravelry link). I used Jaeger Trinity, which is a textured silk/cotton/polyamide blend. It is much heavier than the recommended Rowan Kidsilk Haze, so the shrug does not have that super-light ethereal look. It's still a very light and airy warmer weather garment. I'd like to think it has a more urban look.
I love the way the back of this shrug looks, with the swing shape and the gathering at the top of the back. I wish could have an owl-type neck that would allow me to rotate around once in a while to admire the back of my garment. The front is nice, but it is your basic shrug-type front.
Regarding the border, thanks for your comments and votes. I ended up using the same colored yarn, and it's really for a technical reason. The border is picked up with knit stitches, so the right side looks fine with the color change, but the back purl stitches have that divided purl bump look with 2 colors. The shrug would look fine on the bottom, but it's designed such that the front and neck edges roll a bit and the wrong side with the purl stitches show, so the color change would not look so great.
The pattern has an interesting construction, and it's really easy to knit. I imagine that it might be trickier using the Kidsilk Haze yarn, so if you like the style but don't want to use that yarn, I'd say just try a sport weight yarn and it will probably work out just fine.
I knitted my sleeves flat and sewed them along with the side seams. I tapered the sleeves a bit -- decreasing from 48 to 40 stitches.