Thursday, June 18, 2009

New magazine

I visited Border's at lunch today and checked out the magazine stand. I found this Yarn Forward knitting magazine that I had never seen before. The best part was that, unlike other magazines from the U.K., it was not encased in a plastic bag, so I could skim through before buying. The patterns are nice because they each feature at least four different photos of the modeled sweaters, and they also feature photos of the sweaters lying flat, both front and back. The styles are modern. My two favorites are Morning Echo (ravelry link) and Meadow (ravelry link).

For Morning Echo, I'll probably have to scale it to a higher gauge. I don't think I could finish a sweater knit at 24 stitches/4". Also, I think the only way I could achieve that kind of gauge is to knit with dental floss. Meadow has bobbles down the front, and I normally don't like bobbles, but these don't offend me. It also has nice saddle shoulder detailing.

In the meantime, I'm on the last 2 inches of the Leaf Yoke top, and those last 2 inches always seems to take forever.

4 comments:

Robin said...

I've never seen that one before! Border's is jackpot for great knitting and sewing magazines - I found the two latest issues of Burda World of Fashion there, which is rare around here!

Have a great weekend - can't wait to see Leaf Yoke top. I plan to work on mine this weekend too.

crochetgurl said...

Don't you love it when you discover new knitting magazines? I discovered Verena Knitting (a UK magazine) a couple months ago, and I think their patterns look chic and stylized.

Ooh, I can't wait to see your top. I just finished my yoke last night, but haven't gotten around to picking up the stitches yet. :-)

knitseashore said...

I'm so tempted to buy the Knit.1 magazine after seeing your Leaf Yoke Top!

Do you have any trouble translating the British Knitting patterns? I've purchased several magazines from the U.K. but have not attempted a pattern yet.

betty said...

Regarding the British patterns-- you know, I don't think I've ever knitted from a U.K. magazine pattern before, so I don't know. I did notice that they refer to the stockinette stitch as the stocking stitch in this magazine's patterns.