Monday, February 9, 2009

Super Bulky


I've been obsessing over this raglan cardigan from Vogue Knitting Winter 2009 ever since the issue appeared. I just think it looks like such a cool pattern. I found some Cascade Bollicine Revolution super bulky yarn from the bargain basement WEBS sale at a great price, so I'm off and knitting. I never really wanted to knit the bulky garments much before because they tend to look, well, bulky. Often it's because the pattern uses a lot of cables which tends to thicken the garment. This pattern is just flat stockinette for the bodice and the lace section does not look thick.
I'm using a 2.5 stitches/inch gauge, which is finer than the pattern's gauge. This also results in a finer row gauge so my lace section is shorter. I'm knitting a longer bodice section so that the lace will start below the bust line but just above the waist. I also am tapering the increases from the lace to the armholes.

2 comments:

Robin said...

Looks great so far! I also want to similarly re-engineer some of the sweaters in that VK issue - that pattern is really cute. I liked that yellow cropped turtleneck in there too and was thinking of similarly changing it to make it 2.5-3 sts to the inch instead of 2.

Knittymuggins said...

Looks great so far! I liked that sweater too, but I don't think I could pull off those bulky knits in the slightest. Can't wait to see yours when you finish :)

Have a great weekend & a happy Valentine's Day!

knittymuggins