Saturday, February 7, 2009
Climbing Vines FO
This is a customized version of the climbing vines pullover from Interweave Knits Winter 2008. (ravelry link) The yarn is di.Ve' Zenith. My gauge and yarn are finer at 5 stitches/inch, so I did my own sizing. I moved the motif to the center because I wanted to narrow the shoulders and didn't know how close to the edge I'd get. In retrospect, a side pattern would have been fine and I think I would have liked it better that way.
The fit came out fine except for the sleeve length -- it's either too short or too long, depending upon how you look at it. I was aiming for 3/4 length sleeves and ended up with 15/16 length, or perhaps 31/32. I'm not sure how that happened -- I'm usually pretty good at getting my size dimensions correct. I knew it was too long after knitting one sleeve and attaching it, but decided that changing it wasn't worth the effort. This sweater might also do better with a little less negative ease because the leaves are a bit flattened and distorted. I chose a V neckline instead of the U, and I omitted the emerging leaf at the bottom.
My final conclusion is that I like the sweater, but I'm not jumping up and down with joy. I think I find it sort of boring because it's just a basic pullover and the color is monochromatic. However, the yarn is very soft, comfy, and durable.