Sunday, July 26, 2020

Three skirts

I recently went on a sewing binge during this pandemic and made several skirts from the same pattern. The pattern is self-drafted, but it is sort of copied from a hand knitted skirt that I made back in 2008. I don't think I ever blogged about the skirt, but I did put it up on ravelry. Here's a photo from my ravelry page. I believe the yarn was something I bought at a big discount on yarn.com and it was one of the first things I knitted after picking up knitting again after many, many years. I still have the skirt and I still love wearing it, which is amazing to me. It's a cotton knit so it's not too warm, but it's still a bit heavy for the warmer days. I thought it was finally time to make a pattern for a sewn version using the knit skirt as a guide.

The sewn skirt has an elastic waistband so it needs to stretch a bit to be pulled over the hips. All of mine are made with medium weight stretch woven fabrics. Also, I decided to go with an unfinished hem which is just sewn with an overcast stitch. I had tried other ways of hemming the skirt, but the unfinished hem allows the skirt to drape more smoothly and I like that sort of slightly edgy deconstructed look. Plus, I bought a new sewing machine a few months ago and I was so happy to be able to make good use of the overcast stitch!

The first skirt shown here uses two types of stretch denim. The godet pieces have a wide-striped pattern to give it a bit of contrast. This skirt should be good for fall also since it goes well with many of my sweaters. I think it would also go well with taller boots, except that I never wear tall boots. :)

This one is made of a patterned stretch cotton sateen fabric.

This last one is also a stretch denim or denim-like fabric. I bought this fabric as well as the denim for the body of the first skirt all on some great sale at Joann for $13. Not bad for two (or almost two) skirts!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice! I once sewed a skirt from written instructions in a French magazine. I was both proud of the skirt and my ability to translate using my school girl French. But it was a simple A-line with long ties on the waist band. Godets seem much more complicated. You will get a lot of wear out of these, Betty. Chloe

Lady Jane said...

Hi, just saw your blog and I love your fashions. I quilt but havent sewn clothes in ages. You may just have inspired me, lol. Will have fun reading the rest of your blog. Lady Jane