Friday, August 28, 2015

Butterick B6208 summer dress

Summer isn't over yet, so I have plenty of time to wear this dress. The pattern is Butterick B6208 and my fabric is this great tiny checked linen with white leaf outlines.

I love this dress -- it is relaxed and comfy and great for warm weather. It's not very quick to sew up because the pin tucks, the front band, and the collar require a lot of care. Using a check or vertically striped fabric makes it easier to ensure that everything lines up properly. There is a nice dart that drops down from the shoulder to provide shaping on the bodice. The rest of the garment is really loose fitting, so I ended up taking it in at the sides quite a bit. I also had to cut a bit away from the tops of the arm holes.

One of the pattern versions calls for a tie and a small gathered area in the back, but I decided to install some casing on most of the back and use elastic to pull all the fullness in. I've never had much luck with ties to shape things -- they never seem to gather the waist so that it looks nice. Here's a close up of the linen check and leaf design.

This fabric is 100% linen, which basically means that I can stand here and breathe and it will wrinkle. I don't mind -- I love linen and I just embrace the wrinkles as part of the charm.

I like this pattern enough to perhaps make the tunic length with sleeves to wear in cooler weather.

1 comment:

Eli cat said...

The dress looks good on you!I love the leaf print linen,It was a good choice:-)
I haven't checked this pattern yet,thank you for the helpful information.