Thursday, March 13, 2014

Sewing FO: V1387 Hipster shirt

This is a shirt sewn from Vogue Patterns V1387. It's sewn in a lightweight cotton plaid, and I absolutely love it. One big reason why I love it is because it doesn't have a traditional shirt collar, which I never wear. It has a really nice detailed collar and yoke design. There's a narrow bias band that separates the yoke from the main bodice piece which is not obvious from the pattern envelope. The top of the bodice also has a nice pleating detail. I probably could have done a better job matching my plaid on the collar and some other bits of the pattern, but I'm still happy with it.

The back of this shirt is longer than the front. I like the back better without a belt, but it looks too loose and a bit sloppy in the front without a belt, so a belt it is.

The one detail I didn't like about the pattern was the weak method used to stabilize the corner at the junction of the front band and the collar. I'm going to be making another one of these shirts in a white striped lawn cotton and I'll try to do something that makes that corner a little less fragile.

I call this my hipster shirt because of the plaid. In San Francisco, it seems like many of the hipsters wear plaid. In fact, I gauge the hipster level of a restaurant by how much plaid I see among the diners.

1 comment:

Dayana Knits said...

I don't wear collars either, they look awful with my long neck. I LOVE this version with those pleats!

Also: I live in the hipster neighborhood of Montreal. I will definitely do a plaid survey next time I go out and see how close East and West coast are in Hipsterdom.