Wednesday, January 19, 2011
I've finally finished Geodesic, from Knitscene Winter/Spring 2010. The yarn is Araucania Ranco Solid. This cardigan was started in early October, 2010. It languished a bit because I got bored with it and I don't enjoy knitting with such fine gauged yarn. Now that it's done, I love it. It's very lightweight, so it's suitable for spring. Actually, I can probably wear it now if it stays as warm as it has been the last few days.
I think I knitted mine a little longer than the pattern's version, and my sleeves are a bit longer. I also narrowed the width at the shoulders a bit. I used a row of single crochet to finish the front edges and the back neckline instead of just using a knitted finish for the back. I think the front edges looked a little too scruffy without the crochet trim.
My cardi is actually three different shades of blue. The yarn is hand-dyed, and I did not want to do any of that alternating skeins thing. I had three skeins, so I used one skein for the back, one for the fronts, and one for the sleeves. The sleeves are the darkest shade and the fronts are the most stripey. I'm okay with this -- I'll just consider it a design element!
I tried wearing it without a front closure but it just hangs funny. My local JoAnns is currently stocking a lot of interesting clasp closures. I bought a bunch of them and used one of them here. The top row of my tuck stitches ended up as knit instead of purl by mistake, but I think that looks fine.